Monday, August 11, 2008

My Jacob

My first born is 19 today. I can't believe it. Where did the time go? I know everyone says this but it really does feel like I just had him yesterday. I remember holding him for the first time, how his soft and smooth his skin felt, how fuzzy his hair was, and how big he was. He was 8 lb 15 3/4 oz. so basically he was a 9 lb baby. The biggest in the nursery. How proud we were.



I don't know why I'm struggling with this birthday as opposed to his 18th. Maybe it's because he's almost my age when I had him. Maybe it's because he's out of high school, moved out and back in Arizona (where we're from) with the rest of our family and friends so I am not with him today. Or maybe because he and his girlfriend have moved in together which has been difficult for me to wrap my head around.

I am full of so much emotion right now thinking about my boy. The rambunctious one. The mischevious one. The sly one. The I-can-fix-anything one. The one who every parent says will drive them to drink or give them gray hairs. I'd give anything to go through those days again with you, Jakey-Poo. I miss them already. I miss the day the bus driver came to the door and said you threw a roller blade wheel at the bus. I miss the day I got a call from the principal (when you were in 3rd grade) because you brought a cap gun on the bus and one of your friends took it out of your backpack and shot it. I miss the day we got the letter from Duke University asking you to test for their 7th grade identification program. I miss when you were about 11 and we used to hide under all the pillows and blankets while your little brother jumped on us. I miss our 'frogging' and 'flicking' fights. I miss your rowdy sleepover parties, going to the beach, riding all the scary rides together at Universal and Disney, bungee jumping with you..everything.

I have always told Jake that even when he is big and tall, he'll always be my baby. When he was younger, he'd always say, "Mom, I will not! I'll be too big to be your baby!" I'd always tell him, "You'll NEVER be too big for that." As a teenager, he'd just smile and rolled his eyes. Well my sweet boy, I am so right. You're still my baby and always will be. I love you..

12 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

I totally want to moosh his cheeks.

Totally adorable baby. Mine is turning 12 and it seems like seconds ago...

Swirl Girl said...

how sweet. :)

Anonymous said...

My son turned 21 on Sunday Robinowitz. Same sentiment here.

dani said...

HAPPY 19TH BIRTHDAY, JAKEY-POO!!!
oh my goodness, robin, he was a beautiful baby who has turned into a very handsome young man:)
i'm sure your emotional for all the reasons you mentioned, and i would be, too!!!
love,
dani

Pat said...

Some gifts you hold in your hand....Some you hold in your heart. Family stay with us through time and change like precious ornaments brought out from year to year.

Weith Kick said...

Very sweet and moving. I remember him being little too. I still see him that way. I talked him to yesterday and he sounded good.

Weith Kick said...

Do you miss the time Jake gave one of the neighbor boys a Swirly Bird?

KARI GARCIA said...

That is one beautiful baby. Wonderful post, Robin.

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday, Jake!!
Such a beautiful baby and such a good looking guy...did he have any awkward stages?!

Robin said...

Loralee - I used to kiss his cheeks constantly..They were so soft and mooshy. Happy B-day to your 12 year old! ;-)

Swirl - Thanks!

Burt - I can't believe you're here! Thanks for the comment! Happy b-day to your boy!

Dani - Thanks for the compliments. Yes, he's a cutie pie that's for sure. Too much for his own good!
:-)

Pat - I agree!

Keith - No I don't miss that day at all. I regret being so hard on him for it. It was Tyler's idea after all and he was only grounded for what..an hour?

Kari - Thanks!

Kelly - Yes, he did go through those stages, ie-the pimples, being shorter than his friends for awhile, big ears..He got through it though much to his delight ;-)

petra27 said...

A phrase I heard frequently was "don't jump Jake" because Jake was a jumper and the higher the better.
I remember a boy about one years old who could both talk and walk. I have a vivid picture of him trotting along repeating running, running, running.
A boy about 12 taking apart an electric pencil sharpener and fixing it.
A little guy turning on a light switch in his bedroom with a stick.
A teen ager telling his teacher politely "I didn't study that becauseI know I will never need it" This is hear say but I love it.
A teenager explaining in detail when Hunter was gulping helium from a baloon why his voice was funny and he felt faint.
A 12 year taking charge when the power went out in the condo, flashlights,candles and most imortantly, calming his Nana.
More to come, maybe. Petra&Jack

Robin said...

Oh mi gosh Mom and Dad, thanks for much for commenting! I'm proud of you guys! Yes, I remember all of those things. My sweet Jakey-Poo.


I'm married. I have 3 kids. I have a big nose. Now go on and catch up.

Keep it nice or I'll post your email and make fun of you.

pof5@cox.net


My Life on the D-List

D-List Blogger


Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge
Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites